Credit: Steven Ryan / Getty Images via MMA Mania

Rumours surfaced following a title fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov last year, when it was questioned whether Irish athlete Conor McGregor would retire from his successful career early. And now, after pocketing nearly $137 million AUD from his last fight, it’s been confirmed that he is back. Reported by ESPN last Friday, UFC president Dana White confirmed that McGregor has signed a new contract.

With financial details not disclosed, White has said that Conor McGregor is set to make the most money this season, thanks to his pay-per-view appeal. Agreeing to a six-fight deal, his contract also includes that his whiskey company, Proper Whiskey, will also be a sponsor at every UFC event he fights in, with strong branding expected to be displayed.

“It’s not hard to do a deal with Conor McGregor because we know what he’s worth,” White told ESPN.

Rejoining with his nemesis Khabib Nurmagomedov, McGregor will face off at the upcoming UFC 229 pay-per-view event on October 6. Both fighters appeared in a fiery press conference last week, ahead of the fight.

“I came back for the love of fighting and the love of war,” McGregor said at Radio City Music Hall. “In this one, I’m going to truly, truly love putting a bad, bad beating on this little glass-jaw rat.”

Tune into the action below.

thoughts?