Aerospace-grade titanium, 5x Telephoto camera and no more Lightning port in favour of the faster, universal, USB-C port – this is your first look at the new iPhone 15 and 15 Plus that was just announced overnight in California.
In the weeks leading up to the launch of the new Apple iPhone 15, there were already rumours about a new port system that could lead to faster charging times. This was somewhat accurate. All Apple iPhones will now come with the more universal port that allows for faster data transfer just not faster charging. Apple had been using the same Lightning port for nearly a decade now and this feels like a step into the right direction for a more seamless, less accessory-heavy, future because the same cable can be used to charge a multitude of devices.
But outside of the port change, there’s enough overall changes contained within the new releases – that come in either a standard 6.1-inch iPhone 15 and 6.7-inch iPhone 15 Plus with the usual multitude of hardware/software options – to be excited about the prospect of getting your hands on the either one of the variations. The biggest changes happen in the more premium models, the Pro and Pro Max. A far lighter titanium construction, new chip, new camera lens and even the introduction of ‘Spatial Video’ (a little ahead of itself as its designed to be used with the pending Apple Vision Pro).
As before, an array of colours will also be available across both the iPhone 15 and 15 Plus. The new choices include pink, yellow, green, blue, and black. The upper end of the design spectrum, the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max models, will also be available in four new titanium finishes, including black, white, blue, and natural.
For a quick overview of what to expect from the new models, read on…
iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus
- USB-C connector
- 2x Telephoto camera with 48MP Main camera with 24MP default that comes with an improved Night Mode and Smart HDR
- An improved peak brightness of 2000 nits outdoors and HDR brightness up to 1600
- An A16 Bionic chip that has been brought over from the iPhone 14
- second-generation Ultra Wideband chip for improved location sharing in a crowd
Pricing for the 15 and 15 Plus begins at $1499.
iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max
- Made with titanium to create the lightest ever iPhone Pro model
- Smaller bezels around the screen and frosted black glass
- New custom “action button” used for shortcuts, formerly the mute button
- 48MP Main camera with 24MP as default that also has Log encoding
- A17 Pro chip
- Up to 2x faster speeds on Wi-Fi 6E
- ‘Voice Isolation’ feature on calls for better audio
- The Pro Max also comes with a 5x Telephoto camera (Pro Max-only)
Pricing for the iPhone 15 Pro starts at $1849 with the top end of this field hitting $2899.
The new iPhone 15 and 15 Pro were launched alongside several new Apple watches, including a new addition to their regular collaborator Hermès, and new AirPods Pro 2 earbuds.
The new iPhone 15, 15 Plus and 15 Pro go on sale in Australia on Friday, September 22 but pre-orders start this Friday, September 15.
Watch the Apple Event here.