In the world of actors being paid exorbitant amounts of money to star in a film or TV series, the salaries of Hollywood’s biggest actors has officially been revealed for 2022, and strap yourselves in for these eye-watering figures.
Sure, we know that certain actors like Tom Cruise, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Chris Hemsworth are probably going to be paid a bucket load lot per film. But do you actually realise how much? Probably not.
As revealed by Variety, the list confirmed the highest-paid actors from a single role in 2022. We’ve also included a list of the highest-paid actors from a single role of all time. Naturally, the usual suspects are to be found on these lists. But it was Mr. Cruise, the 60-year old daredevil who really raked it in.
Cruise demanded our attentions this year with the arrival of the Top Gun: Maverick sequel, and for good reason: Variety’s report indicated he’ll be taking home a cool US$100 million+ thanks to the film’s success. Much like a lot of the actors in Hollywood these days, however, Cruise opted for a salary sacrifice in place for an overall percentage of the box office revenue. The contractural smarts of Cruise and his team secured his place as the highest-paid actor of 2022.
“I would never bet against Tom Cruise,” an unnamed studio executive told Variety, noting his ability to be everywhere when it comes to promoting his films.
“Most actors aren’t worth what you pay them, but Cruise and maybe Dwayne Johnson justify their salaries.”
When looking at the lists, however, it’s quite noticeable the discrepancies between the male actors and their take-home salaries, compared to female actors and what they earn. Especially female actors over the age of 40. Only one actress on the list of seven of the highest paid female actors is over the age of 40, meanwhile every single male on the highest paid actor list is well over the age of 40 (Cruise is 60, for example).
Maybe, just maybe, ageism actually does affect women….
only ONE actress on this list of 7 is over the age of 40, meanwhile every single man on the highest paid actor list is well over the age of 40. ageism really only affects women lol https://t.co/7VrkHxk7fu
— yasmin (@ycsm1n) July 21, 2022
While these insanely-high figures might seem like the norm for a Hollywood actor in 2022, the good times may end quick as the United States braces for an impending recession, with media companies watching their stock prices plunge. As a result, your favourite stars could feel the pinch (how, I’m not too sure).
For now, here’s are the highest-paid actors in Hollywood for 2022…
The Highest-Paid Actors From A Single Role (2022)
- Tom Cruise (Top Gun: Maverick) – $100 million+
- Will Smith (Emancipation) – $35 million
- Leonardo DiCaprio (Killers of the Flower Moon) – $30 million
- Brad Pitt (Formula One) – $30 million
- Dwayne Johnson (Black Adam) – $22.5 million
- Will Ferrell (Spirited) – $20 million
- Chris Hemsworth (Extraction 2) – $20 million
- Vin Diesel (Fast X) – $20 million
- Tom Hardy (Venom 3) – $20 million
- Joaquin Phoenix (Joker 2) – $20 million
- Ryan Reynolds (Spirited) – $20 million
- Denzel Washington (The Equalizer 3) – $20 million
- Jason Momoa (Aquaman & The Lost Kingdom) – $15 million
- Eddie Murphy (Beverly Hills Cop 4) – $15 million
- Chris Pine (Star Trek sequel) – $13 million
- Steve Carell (Minions: The Rise of Gru) – $12.5 million
- Ryan Gosling (Barbie) – $12.5 million
- Margot Robbie (Barbie) – $12.5 million
- Millie Bobby Brown (Enola Holmes 2) – $10 million
- Timothee Chalamet (Wonka) – $9 million
- Matt Damon (Oppenheimer) – $4 million
- Robert Downey Jr (Oppenheimer) – $4 million
- Emily Blunt (Oppenheimer) – $4 million
- Daniel Kaluuya (Nope) – $4 million
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween Ends) – $3.5 million
- Anya-Taylor Joy (Furiosa) – $1.8 million
The Highest-Paid Actors From A Single Role (All-Time)
- Keanu Reeves (The Matrix sequels) – $156 million
- Bruce Willis (The Sixth Sense) – $100 million
- Tom Cruise (Top Gun: Maverick, War of the Worlds, Mission: Impossible 2) – $100 million each
- Will Smith (Men In Black 3) – $100 million
- Robert Downey Jr (Avengers: Endgame, Avengers: Infinity War, Iron Man 3) – $75 million+ each
- Sandra Bullock (Gravity) – $70 million+
- Tom Hanks (Forrest Gump) – $70 million
- Tom Cruise (Mission: Impossible) – $70 million
- Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) – $65 million
- Jack Nicholson (Batman) – $60 million
- Leonardo DiCaprio (Inception) – $59 million
- Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) – $55 million
- Jackie Chan (Rush Hour 3) – $50 million
- Robert Downey Jr (The Avengers) – $50 million+ each
- Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic) – $40 million
- Tom Hanks (Saving Private Ryan) – $40 million
- Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland) – $40 million
- Will Smith (King Richard) – $40 million
- Amir Khan (Dangal) – $35 million
- Jim Carrey (Yes Man) – $35 million