Kevin Spacey is set to return to the silver screen acting in an Italian film directed by Franco Nero, Variety has confirmed. The disgraced actor has not acted since several sexual misconducts, and assault allegations against him went public back in 2017.
The low budget film “L’uomo Che Disegnò Dio,” (translation: “The Man Who Drew God”) will be shot in Italy and Spacey is set to film a cameo as a police detective.
“I’m thrilled Kevin agreed to participate in my film,” Franco Nero said to ABC News. “I consider him a great actor, and I can’t wait to start the movie.”
Before the allegations, the two-time Oscar winner had been considered one of the finest actors of his generation. The 60-year-olds body of work includes American Beauty, The Usual Suspects, and more recently Netflix series House of Cards.
Spacey was removed from his role on the show in November 2017 as allegations of sexual assault began to collate. The case against Spacey began when former co-star Anthony Rapp alleged that Spacey made a sexual advance towards him in 1986. Rapp was just 14. Spacey was 26.
The Star Trek: Discovery actor says women speaking out about sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry has compelled him to come forward about the Oscar winner.
That triggered many survivors to share their stories with at least 20 young men involved at the Old Vic, the London Theater at which Spacey was the artistic director, accusing Spacey of misconduct.
In 2018, Spacey was charged with indecent assault in Nantucket Island, Mass., involving a teenage boy. Spacey pleaded not guilty, and the charge was promptly dropped.
The return to acting will undoubtedly prove controversial, with online commentators quick to criticise the decision by actress Vanessa Redgrave and director Franco Nero, to work alongside Spacey.
I wish anyone willing to work with Kevin Spacey a very death by fire
— Siobhan Thompson, mysterious European heiress (@vornietom) May 23, 2021
The film represents the first official return to acting for Spacey. Since being an outcast, the actor has released YouTube videos on three consecutive Christmas Eves. His last appearance on the big screen was 2018’s Billionaire Boys Club.