Donald Trump Planning His Own Social Media PlatformAfter being banned from Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, Donald Trump is planning his own social media platform.

The former US President has decided to take matters into his own hands after being suspended from most major platforms following the January 6 attack on the Capitol. Since leaving office, rumours have persisted concerning Trump planning his own social media platforms, and it seems there was a kernel of truth to the matter.

Jason Miller, a spokesman for Trump’s 2020 campaign, appeared on Fox News on Sunday to discuss the former president’s potential to return to social media, using classic Trump hyperbole.

“This is something that I think will be the hottest ticket in social media. It’s going to completely redefine the game, and everybody is going to be waiting and watching to see what exactly President Trump does,” he said.

STERLING, VIRGINIA – NOVEMBER 26: US President Donald Trump makes a phone call as he golfs at Trump National Golf Club on November 26, 2020 in Sterling, Virginia. President Trump stayed in Washington, DC this year for Thanksgiving due the Covid-19 outbreak in the United States. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

Sticking to the Trump style of over-promising and under-delivering, Miller refused to go into details or offer any insight into what stage the social media platform was at.

“This new platform is going to be big,” Miller continued.

“I think the president does know what direction he wants to head here, and this new platform is going to be big, and everyone wants him, he’s gonna bring millions and millions, tens of millions of people to this new platform,” Miller said.

Miller also alluded to Trump is tossing up between funding a creating his own social media network from scratch or teaming up with a pre-existing platform.

“There have been a lot of high-power meetings he’s been having at Mar-a-Lago with some teams of folks who have been coming in,” he said. “It’s not just one company that’s approached the president. There have been numerous companies.”

Unsurprisingly, news that Donald Trump is planning his own social media platform was met with cynicism and snark online.

The seemingly inevitable announcement that Trump is planning his own social media platform renewed dialogue around his bans from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has been adamant that Trump’s ban is permanent – regardless of whether he returns to office in four years.

However, earlier this week, a blog post on Twitter’s corporate website seemed to open the possibility for Trump’s return sometime in the future. The post, titled Calling for public input on our approach to world leaders, asked for readers input.

“We want to hear from the public on whether or not they believe world leaders should be subject to the same rules as others on Twitter. And, should a world leader violate a rule, what type of enforcement action is appropriate.”

Meanwhile, Facebook, which indefinitely suspended Trump in January, has maintained its ban is less concrete and is consulting an independent oversight board to decide whether the ban should stand.

thoughts?